Placing a Pet or Stray
Whether you have a pet you believe you can no longer care for, found a stray, or know someone who is considering turning in their pet to a shelter, below is information on how to find a new, loving home for the animal or to find a strays owner.
Strays - they may be lost or abandoned pets:
- Place a found report with local shelters. Some may require you to come in to file the report others will accept a report by phone.
- Put an ad in the local News Journal or other major newspaper under found ads – they are free for a period of time.
- Put up posters in your area with a description of the pet.
- Post them on Petfinders: www.petfinder.org
- If someone claims the pet is theirs, get a copy of the vet records or some ID to be sure the pet is reunited with the true owner.
Finding a home for a pet:
- Ask responsible relatives, friends and co-workers if they are willing to provide a loving home for your pet.
- Place an ad in the local newspaper or newspapers to find a home for a pet – they are not expensive.
- Screen possible adopters to rule out possible neglectful or abusive homes – ask questions, go to their home to visit, see how your pet interacts with them.
- Place the pets photo and description on petfinder.com: www.petfinder.org.
Place flyers up at work, at your local vet, & pet store.
No Kill Resources
Renting With Pets
“Moving" and "landlord won't allow" are among the top reasons given by pet owners when relinquishing their dogs or cats to animal shelters. If you're a pet owner committed to caring for your pet responsibly, there are several steps you can take to find pet-friendly rental housing.
- Search ApartmentList.com - the world's first apartment-matching engine. You can modify your search for just pet friendly housing by choosing the “Pet Policy” option from the “Amenities” tab at the bottom of the page.
- Search Apartments.com - you can search apartments in Delaware by many categories, including whether or not they allow cats, small dogs, and/or any size dogs; other states are also available.
- Search PetApartments.net/Delaware (other states also available.)
- Seach PetsWelcome.com: (Go to the section marked “Listings” and select “Apartments and Rentals,” and request listings for Delaware or other states.)
- View List of Pet-Friendly Rental Locations in Delaware and surrounding areas.
- Other tips to find pet-friendly rental housing.
Foods That Kill
From chocolate to raisins, here's what's NOT to feed Fido even if he begs! Foods That Kill Pets
Affordable Pet Insurance
Save money on your pets medical expenses with ShelterCare's affordable Pet Insurance and help Faithful Friends at the same time! With every enrollment, Faithful Friends receives a $25.00 donation - Everyone Wins!